Monday 12 September 2011

Am I not good enough?

So sin is always a pretty huge topic. I'm not even going to begin to start unpacking the why's, who's and what's of it. However, I would just like to point out that nothing can separate us from God's love.

"Yeah, that's all well saying that Jon, but I've sinned. I deserve punishment. I don't deserve God. I can't be a Christian, I sin too much..."

So hey man, chill. Yeah, you don't, but neither do I. Or the next guy along. Or that girl who always goes to church. Or that pastor. Or that church leader. But that's the beauty of mercy. Getting what we don't deserve.

"But Romans 6 says the wages of sin is death..."

Correct, but we also have a loving God. When Jesus died on that cross, He not only took away yesterday's sins. He also took away today's too. And also tomorrow's! Isn't that incredible? And this extends to the stuff the stuff we haven't even thought about doing too! That means the debt of EVERY sin we will EVER do, has already been accounted for. Think of it as an open bar.

That doesn't mean sin all you want. I mean sin is definitely bad. I'm just saying don't beat yourself up over it.

The hardest part of all of this is actually forgiving yourself, and accepting that your debt of sin has already been paid. And acting as though you deserve punishment is like saying Jesus's sacrifice wasn't enough. So I guess we just need to start accepting that God loves us, and start receiving his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment